Monday, October 19, 2015

Day 380 – Stopping Negative Self-Judgments

Throughout my life, and especially in my teenage years and through most of my 20s, I have had a backchat dialogue of negative self-judgments that are constantly going on, especially when in conversation or interactions with others.  These negative self-judgments are, I am: boring, un-intelligent even “stupid”, “not fun to talk to”, “saying the wrong thing”.  These negative self-judgments consume my mind / me, distract me, evoke fear within and as me and have adversely affected my ability to make friends.  These negative self-judgments are self-fulfilling prophesies because, up until now, I have reacted in fear to these thoughts, as if they are real, and as a reaction to these fears and to help protect me, I have “frozen-up” in social interactions where I just would not talk and when I did say something, it would be off beat because I was not completely here communicating with others, but lost in my mind sorting through all the potential things that I could say looking for that that “perfect statement”, of which would ironically lead me to say something that actually was / is “stupid”, if you will, because I was not completely here in the first place.

Now, up until now, I projected these negative self-judgments onto others wherein I was worried that others were judging me these ways, when in fact it was me judging me and even tormenting me with these negative self judgments.  I never considered that point that these negative self-judgments were actually my own creations and participations and were not actually coming from others, but me.  So, I would fear that others would judge me as stupid or boring, for instance, and then react to that fear as if these judgments were actually really coming from them and then change my behavior accordingly. 

So, as a consequence of not realizing that I was just fucking with myself by believing that my own negative self-judgments were actually coming from others, instead them coming from me as the actual source, I then became withdrawn, quiet, shy, taciturn, reticent, and socially quiescent; and then also I tried to prove to others (and really to myself) that I was all those things that I feared that I wasn’t.  So, I took extra difficult college courses and started writing my own music so that I could be that “genius” character that no one “really understood” just so that I can justify to myself and prove to myself that I was not these negative self-judgments, or that these negative self judgments had a valid reason for existing within and as me because they were just the counterweight to my positive self identity as the “genius” type.   Of course, this idea of the genius who cannot relate socially was also a just an idea that I was using for my own self-interest of providing some form of reason why I was “seemingly stupid, boring, etc” and not necessarily actual reality.  Then from here I started projecting that one day I would be like a business super star or a rock star of sorts of which would be like my ultimate vindication point of “Yes!  See all you assholes!  I really am cool!  I really am awesome!” – when in fact it was me that I was trying to prove myself to the whole time and it was me that was judging me so negatively in the first place.

Geese, were would I be today had I not had any negative self-judgments to begin with?  Where would I be today if these negative self-judgment internal dialogue / backchat just did not exist at all?  I went through the negative experience produced by these negative self judgments that I imagined / projected were coming from others when in fact it was me, then the fear and torment as reactions to this dialogue, then the social withdrawal, then the positive identity bullshit, like I am really a genius musician or an esoteric billionaire to be, all just so that I can feel better about the negative dialogue that I was constantly tormenting myself with – all of which altered the course of my life by severely limiting my within my own self expression.

So, today, these negative self-judgments are far less of a problem, but they still exist nonetheless, I just don’t react to them like used to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment