Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 170 – BDMWP, Part IX – Who ‘I Am’ Within Communication

So, the last several posts covered both the topics of ‘what may have humiliated me as a child’ and ‘seeing the worry pattern within my mother’, and I can conclude that I am not really sure what may have happened as a child that is humiliating; however, more than likely I suffered some serious self-esteem issues from my biological father’s disappearance.  And I can also conclude that my mother’s worry pattern was more of an energy or a feeling that she transmitted to me rather than actual events that I can recall.  Perhaps, as this is just occurring now to me, her over-bearingness and over protection is in fact that point of worry that she was transmuting to me.  Wow, because to be over-protective and over-bearing stems from a lack of trust either in self or others that something ‘bad’ may happen beyond what one can control of which is a form of worry – hence the over-bearingness and over-protection-ness that my mother exerted as a means of CONTROL, to avoid that what she is worried about happening.  Wow!  Ok, so, I do believe that I see that pattern now more clearly in my mother.  Perhaps I will write more on that in future posts.  For now, I am going to change gears and focus on the following point:

3.     Looking at my beliefs around 'who I am' within communication, looking at my self-doubt.  And opening up the point of where I may have lost or never developed or gave away self-movement and self-trust to another/an institution or an idea.

Beliefs that I have held around who I am within communication:  ‘I am stupid’.  ‘I am boring’.  ‘I have nothing funny to say’.  ‘I have nothing interesting to say’.  ‘If people don’t laugh at my jokes, then they must be bored’.   Fears that I have around communication: “fear of being taken the wrong way or miss-understood.’  Fear of not understanding or remembering clearly what others say to me.

The beliefs that I listed are more of my past, while the fears that I have listed are more of the present experience of myself.  I do not have these beliefs so much anymore; yet I never did self-forgiveness on them, obviously, so these beliefs are probably still existent within and as me, just suppressed.  Or even more interesting, these beliefs are probably existing in a form of polar opposite where now I see myself as: super-genius smart (to a certain extent), very funny and fun to be around (at times), very interesting, etc.  So, I have a gone from inferiority to superiority in my experience of myself, to a certain extent.  I still have the root of the inferiority at times, however, as I find myself with the exact feelings and self-beliefs, as I did in my younger years in certain situations.

So, let’s look at ‘I am stupid.’  I use the word ‘stupid’ on purpose, because it is a ‘harsh’ word.  If I were to say that I believed myself to be ‘less intelligent than others’, this would not be adequate.  I did not believe that I was ‘less intelligent’; I believed that I was ‘stupid’! 

So, just from the word that I used for myself, ‘stupid’, I can see that I was very hard on myself and very down on myself.  Within this point of being ‘stupid’, I was basically in the mind-set that I was inferior to others in: my cognitive ability, in my ability to see things for what they are, in my ability to come up with cool things to say, in my ability to learn, to understand – anything and everything!  I was inferior. 

I remember in high school this girl made fun of me because of the way that I pronounced a word, and looking back at this years later, I realized that I had actually pronounced the word correctly.  I was pronouncing the word correctly based on the region of the country I was from, as I was from a different area than she was.  YET, I was so quick to see myself as inferior and stupid that I instantly went into the experience of feeling bad about myself for being so ‘stupid’ to have mispronounce this word that I did not even give it time to look at this word and see if I was really pronouncing it wrong.  I just believed her and took her mocking me as validation that I was indeed stupid!  This is how it went for me as a teenager.  Anyone who made fun of me was like right and I was wrong without me even considering if this was indeed the case.  This fear of being stupid and seen as stupid was the back-drop for me becoming very ‘shy’ and withdrawn.’  This lasted all the way through my 20s.

I will pick-up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment